A single authorization is required to mail at the Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail (formerly called Standard Mail) prices throughout the United States. Once an organization is approved to mail at the Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail prices, it may make mailings at those prices at any PostalOne! entry location. Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail must be deposited at a Post Office facility where the organization producing the mailing has an approved mailing permit.
Mailers will continue to be responsible for the payment of applicable permit imprint or annual mailing fees at all entry locations.
In order to apply for authorization to mail at Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail prices, please complete the following steps:
- Complete PS Form 3624 - Application to Mail at Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail Prices, available on USPS.com (http://about.usps.com/forms/ps3624.pdf).
- You will need to provide evidence that the organization is Nonprofit. Acceptable evidence includes:
- An Internal Revenue Service (IRS) letter of exemption from payment of federal income tax.
- If an IRS exemption letter is not available, a complete financial statement from an independent auditor (such as a certified public accountant) substantiating that the organization is nonprofit. A statement from a member of the organization is not sufficient (do not submit State tax exemption information).
- You will need to provide documents describing the organization's primary purpose, such as:
- Organizing instruments that state the purpose for which the group is organized, such as the constitution, articles of incorporation, articles of association, or trust indenture. The organizing instrument, including all amendments to the original, should bear the seal, certification, or signature of the Secretary of State or other appropriate state official. If one or more of these documents are not sealed, certified, or signed by state officials, an officer or other person authorized to sign for the applicant should submit a written declaration certifying that the documents are complete and accurate copies of the originals.
- Materials showing how the organization actually operated during the previous 6 to 12 months and how it will operate in the future. Bulletins, financial statements, membership forms, publications produced by the organization, minutes of meetings, or a list of its activities may be used.
- The application must be signed by someone in authority in the organization, such as the president or treasurer. It must not be signed by a printer or mailing agent.
- Submit the completed PS Form 3624 to the Post Office where Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail mailings will be deposited. If the application is approved, the authorization will apply nationwide.
Using an Agent
As an organization authorized to mail at Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail prices, you can use a commercial firm to prepare and present your mailing for you at those prices. The issue is whether the arrangement is a legitimate "principal-agent" relationship.
- If you are paying a fee to the mailing house to prepare your mailing, and the mailing house has no other interest in the mailing, it should be eligible for Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail prices.
- However, if the mailing house shares in the advertising revenues, places its own advertisement(s) in the mailpiece at no cost, or at a reduced price, or will not receive any fees for its services (reimbursement for expenses), the mailpiece may not be eligible for Nonprofit USPS Marketing