Registered Mail General Information
- What domestic mail classes and services can be sent as Registered Mail?
Domestic Registered Mail is only available for First-Class Mail®, First-Class Package Service®, and Priority Mail® service items. Return Receipt (both at Retail and Electronic), Signature Confirmation™, and Collect on Delivery (COD) service are available with Registered Mail items.
Note: Combined Registered Mail and COD services are not available for First-Class Package Service items.
- What is Registered Mail Restricted Delivery?
Registered Mail Restricted Delivery provides all the services that Registered Mail provides. In addition, customers opting for Registered Mail Restricted Delivery service can direct delivery of the item only to the addressee (or addressee’s authorized agent). This combination is available at one price.
- What is the estimated delivery time for Registered Mail and Registered Mail Restricted Delivery?
Registered Mail items travel at the speed of the mail class with which they are purchased. However, due to the higher level of security placed on this service, it is possible that the Registered Mail process could slow the speed at which a mailpiece travels. Registered Mail is not recommended if speed of delivery is important.
- What are the characteristics of Registered Mail and Registered Mail Restricted Delivery?
The most secure United States Postal Service® mail service (protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks, and keys).
- Must be presented to a retail employee or rural carrier.
- Requires a signature upon delivery. Mailers using Registered Mail Restricted Delivery can direct delivery only to the addressee (or addressee's authorized agent).
- Delivery information provides delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination. Tracking is not provided as the item is en route to its destination.
- Registered Mail can be sent to military locations. However, delivery information is not available for items destined to an APO / FPO / DPO.
- A system of receipts is provided to monitor movement of mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. These receipts are not readily available and can only be accessed by initiating a claim form, which cannot be requested by phone.
- Label ID numbers typically begin with two letters ("R" followed by another letter) followed by nine numbers and the letters "US", for example: RA 000 000 000 US, the ID number can be located in the upper left-hand corner of the receipt.
International Registered Mail Service Information
Information about International Registered Mail Service can be found at "What is International Registered Mail™?"
Tracking Registered Mail
Registered Mail (domestic and international) service and Registered Mail Restricted Delivery service alone cannot be tracked through the mailstream. In addition, updated scans are not provided. However, those mail services provide delivery information when a scan shows either a delivery status or information on an attempted delivery, which can be retrieved in several ways.